AZLRO
  • ¬†¬†webmaster@azlro.org

Leaking Swivel Ball

2 years 2 months ago #8966 by blurrjolt
Hoping for some good answers. I have 1990 classic with leaking swivel ball seal. Very annoying. It is a brand new ball and seal. I have tried the swivel ball seal frontwards and backwards and it stills leaks. I have tried 4 seals and they all leak. I have used swivel ball grease and gear oil. I have torqued it to 8 lbs and tried tried to tightening the seal down. I cannot fix this leak! Any suggestions for my leaking swivel would be appreciated. Am i missing something? There is nothing worse that driving around with that thing shooting grease and oil everywhere. I am about to try a bottle of Lucas Stop Leak to fix the problem, see if that stops the leaking!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 2 months ago #8973 by James Howard
Did you put sealant between the seal and the housing? Are you using 90 weight or the special swivel grease?

1968 Land Rover Dormobile
1992 Range Rover
N1JH

2 years 2 months ago #8975 by blurrjolt
I did not use sealant between the seal and housing. I used special swivel grease. Do you install the seal with the circular metal piece facing inboard or outboard? So do i install sealant on flat part of seal and install seal with metal facing inboard? So many questions.

2 years 2 months ago #8976 by James Howard

The spring side of the seal goes toward the ball. I like to put sealant around the OD of the seal but it is not strictly necessary. I think the plates only go on one way?

1968 Land Rover Dormobile
1992 Range Rover
N1JH
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.409 seconds

Newsletter