AZLRO
  •   webmaster@azlro.org

Forum

Rear Main Question

2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #8801 by Rodewaryer
Just how badly can a rear main fail anyway? OTW home from the meeting last thursday night I got a cloud of smoke blow past me at an off ramp light, stopped a block away and got an oil puddle at least 2' across while looking. Hurried home and about 2 mi later got another while prepping the driveway with cardboard to line the way to the garage then got what you see once inside. I believe that qualifies as catastrophic failure although I have a hard time visualizing why. I get why a rear main leaks with near 130K on the clock...but really. It has been suggested that the rear of the cam can do this, but that I have little experience to make a judgement on. It's in the shop and the jury is still out at the moment.

The trail at the top of the pic gives an idea of the rate of leakage as it moved into the garage, the big 'pond' was immediately below the bell housing, the rest I have to assume was everything behind it getting drenched on the freeway.

File Attachment:

Relating to that, I have on one source that if something more serious has gone amiss that the engine is not rebuildable. I have never heard this in my 20 yrs of ownership. My UK Land Rover friend thinks my source is smoking something of questionable quality. What is the official deal on overhauling these engines anyway? Until now I hadn't seriously given it much thought.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 5 months ago #8803 by jonc97
Replied by jonc97 on topic Rear Main Question
My understanding is that the engines are rebuildable but you can't bore out the cylinders, you'll need to re-sleeve them. With only 130k miles you may get away with new rings and maybe a new piston or two if they have too much wear. My engine had 119k on it and had no issues but I recently had it rebuilt anyway without a rebore (I had it out to swap to another vehicle). Only 500 miles on the rebuild so far but it runs great. I had Kelly's machine shop do the work.

2 years 5 months ago #8905 by Rodewaryer
Replied by Rodewaryer on topic Rear Main Question
Ok so now things just got very strange. Turns out the leak is the gearbox, the smallish leaks the rear of the engine had were sealed up and the gearbox put back in, and when started the massive leak is the front of the gearbox. Having said that, what's up with the color of the fluid? It's not a trick of the camera either, it looks exactly like relatively clean engine oil. How does 'someone' (I'd have to look it up) service an automatic gearbox with....well...something that color?

2 years 5 months ago #8925 by Rodewaryer
Replied by Rodewaryer on topic Rear Main Question
I have been told that gearbox (automatic) fluid can appear the color of engine oil if it's been hot/burned. So, all things considered...transmission is being rebuilt. What with the little amount of towing mine's done in it's lifetime (a handful of trips with the pop up camper, a couple of short tows for friends) I did not expect this to happen for a while.

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds

AZLRO

AZLRO promotes safe off-road driving, supports the "Tread Lightly" program is active in maintaining access for off-road driving as we explore all the great state of Arizona has to offer.

Newsletter