AZLRO
  •   webmaster@azlro.org

Forum

Lifting my Disco 2

2 years 7 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #8672 by cambo
Lifting my Disco 2 was created by cambo
I would like to get a 2" suspension lift with 32" or 33" tires on my Disco 2 for more ground clearance & larger more aggressive tires. I do a lot of off road in the hills & washes above Phoenix prospecting for gold where it can get interesting after the Monsoon season washes all the roads out. My questions are as follows:

a) Old Man Emu or Tera Firma or???
b) Do I need heavy duty springs or will medium work? I plan on getting a new bumper, winch & a safari rack. (does anyone has one to sell?)
c) The best place to have it done? (I was thinking maybe Huff's?) Or do you install your own because it seems not too many places will install on Rovers.
d) Do you order the kit online or purchase from whatever shop installs?
e) As for tires, am I on the right track thinking of 32" or 33"? I have 18" wheels but should I go with 16"? Or what do you suggest? And do you know of a good (& cheap) place in the west valley to get em?

I want to have it done right & not have to worry about it. I'm a single gal & I usually head for the hills alone. (with lots of water, food & my 45) I'd like to find the cheapest way without skimping quality so I have enough $ to fix other little stuff. I do most of the work myself but this is too big of a job for me. BTW Is there anybody who wants to help me out & install this for $$, beer, BBQ, cookies etc?? I don't have ACE, its all stock. :)
Thanks for your help & any suggestions

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 7 months ago #8676 by LeBlanc
Replied by LeBlanc on topic Lifting my Disco 2
First off, the 33" tire idea is pushing your disco on a 2" lift.. it can be done but you're going to need a 3" + lift to pull it off.. a 32" tire on a 2" lift is quite capable..

IT just so happens I can sell you 4 - 16" rims for $100.. :)

If I were you , I'd go with OME kit, shocks and springs.. The Terra Firma kits are a good option, and economical but I see too many complaints on the forums to take them too seriously.,. but for casual offroading probably ok. Nothing for serious use.

As for difficuly, this is pretty straight forward.. I've helped several people put theirs on, and can probably be talked into helping you 2.. :)

Pierre LeBlanc
'87 RRC
'02 D2
N2FWD

2 years 7 months ago #8677 by cambo
Replied by cambo on topic Lifting my Disco 2
Awesome! Thanks for the advice...32's with a 2" OME lift (and those rims you have for sale) I didnt want to go overboard with lift & tire size etc., I want function over that big 4x4 errrrr look. Will I need to order anything separate in addition to the kit? PM me or email camelahockman@ gmail.com about those rims & see what its gonna take to get you to help me with this project (& what kind of beer you drink). :whistle:

Thanks!
Cammy :)

2 years 7 months ago #8679 by LeBlanc
2" lift you're with just springs and shocks... and of course new tires..

get the OME medium duty at minimum and if you see yourself adding armor or heavy loading often get the HD springs.

Let me know when you get your setup and we can arrange a time / date to install.. it should take an evening to do..

Pierre LeBlanc
'87 RRC
'02 D2
N2FWD

2 years 7 months ago #8684 by cambo
Okee dokee. I'm trying to find the best price. So far it looks like Rocky Road Outfitters ($819.00) for OME HD kit (springs, shocks & steering dampner) I'll let you know when it gets here. Thanks again!

Oh by the way, I was looking under the engine (to see how many leaks I have left to fix - all in good time) and noticed a +/-1.5" hole on left hand side that I suppose is for access to flywheel?? (I can see inside) I suppose there is some kind of cover or plug that popped off? What is it, where can I find one and I suppose I have to stay out of the dirt til its plugged?:(

2 years 7 months ago #8687 by RovnAZ
Replied by RovnAZ on topic Lifting my Disco 2
This is the access port for the flywheel to torque converter bolts. Don't know the part number is, but I'd probably hit up the U-Pic-It junk yards to find a replacement. Might even be plastic, I don't recall from my old DII.

Rob

1984 90
2004 Discovery II (Dead)
1997 Tahoe
KE7VGU
- Rob Woodward

2 years 6 months ago #8692 by cambo
Thanks Rob!
I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled. I normally would wait for the right part but for a VERY temporary fix, I took some gasket goop & glued a piece of sheet metal over it to keep it clean. Believe it or not, after running thru the Hassayampa the other day, it stayed!!! With this awesome weather, I couldn't help myself. Me n my Rover had to get out & play!!! :lol:

2 years 6 months ago #8693 by cambo
I'm so excited! My OME HD 2"Lift kit will be here Monday!! Let me know what kind of beer you drink & when we could get together & do this! (If your still willing) hehehe I'm soooo happy! :P :) :cheer:

2 years 6 months ago #8705 by LeBlanc
I can help most evenings, except tuesday and thursdays.. This coming saturday I am leading a trail, so that's out.. We can probably lift it, and you can then take the wheels to get the tires installed afterwards,,

Pierre LeBlanc
'87 RRC
'02 D2
N2FWD

2 years 6 months ago #8711 by cambo
I sent you a PM with my phone number. My lift kit is HERE!!! :cheer: Call me so we can make arrangements. Thanks again! :P Ooooh I can't wait!! :) :)

2 years 6 months ago #8712 by RovnAZ
Replied by RovnAZ on topic Lifting my Disco 2
If you'd like an extra set of hands, I'm available most evenings as well. Just let me know when and where.

Are you going to remove the sway bars? If not, IIRC, you'll need to disconnect them to get enough articulation to install the new springs otherwise you'll need a spring compressor.

Rob

1984 90
2004 Discovery II (Dead)
1997 Tahoe
KE7VGU
- Rob Woodward

2 years 6 months ago #8716 by LeBlanc
Yeah, disconnecting the swaybars is how I do it.. at least in the front. Also may have to disconnect the front prop-shaft to get the passenger front spring on.. so the shaft doesn't hit the front cross member..

Pierre LeBlanc
'87 RRC
'02 D2
N2FWD

2 years 6 months ago #8717 by cambo
I'm home until 11:00 tonite & return in the mid AM then out Fri AM return Fri PM/Sat AM & be home thru Monday mid morning. If we don't get it finished, I can take my Mustang to work & help finish when I get back if need be. I'd like try to go on the China Dam run with ya'll this wknd if I can go stock with all terrain tires if we don't get to it. :) Just let me know when & where. I live in Peoria & can be anywhere in no time or you can do it here. I hope I don't seem too anxious! I just can't wait! lol :P :cheer: :P

2 years 6 months ago #8718 by LeBlanc
You can totally make the trip to China Dam, this is a very easy trail on a maintained road.. Only the last little bits will be any challenge, but none for the mighty D2.

I'm thinking installing the lift either Sunday late afternoon/evening or monday PM..

Pierre LeBlanc
'87 RRC
'02 D2
N2FWD

2 years 6 months ago #8720 by cambo
Ok! Sunday would be best for me. I can try to get dispatched out Tuesday AM instead of Monday, so whatever is best for you, let me know & I'll work it out! :)

2 years 6 months ago #8721 by LeBlanc
Sunday it is... I'll call you on your cell and arrange.. let's say 4pm? we can arrange some pizza or something in lieu of Beers..

Pierre LeBlanc
'87 RRC
'02 D2
N2FWD

2 years 6 months ago #8722 by Glenn P38
Replied by Glenn P38 on topic Lifting my Disco 2
NO BEERS??????? Do you feel ok Pierre? Don't tell me it's because it's a Sunday. Lol.

2 years 6 months ago #8723 by cambo
Sounds great! :cheer: I'm planning on going with ya'll on Saturday too. I'll be the chick in the blue Rover that climbs trees! :woohoo: Hahaha!! If I dont make it on Saturday it's because sometimes I have to layover in my sleeper on my way back from Vegas. :angry: Darn those DOT laws... Blah!!! :angry: But I'll be here Sunday for sure! :)

2 years 6 months ago #8724 by cambo
Hey Pierre!
Well started to go on the run today, but just as we were stopping to air down I heard this thump noise. My right rear brake caliper bracket broke & my caliper was hanging by the brake line!!! Needless to say, we had to bale from the run.

2 years 6 months ago #8725 by LeBlanc
Sorry to hear about the breakdown.. another unfortunate issue is I've come down with a pretty bad cold / sinus infection and I'm down and out.. spending the weekend in bed.. ugh..

Is your truck still drivable? you'll be coming to me when we put the lift on.. all my tools aren't portable.. :)

Can we set up another date for the install? wednesday this week? or next sunday?

Pierre LeBlanc
'87 RRC
'02 D2
N2FWD

2 years 6 months ago #8726 by cambo
I'm sorry your not feeling well. Let's aim for Sunday. I have a whole new caliper & bracket coming on Tues or Wed & I'll install here. I got lucky & was able to slowly limp it home with the caliper tied up & outa the way. As soon as it's safe I be able to come there. I'll keep you up to date. Thanks! I hope you feel better!

2 years 6 months ago #8735 by LeBlanc
Still sick, but I imagine I'll be ready by Sunday.. Fingers crossed.. You still able?

Pierre LeBlanc
'87 RRC
'02 D2
N2FWD

2 years 6 months ago #8736 by cambo
Sorry your still sick. Yes, I will be available on (Saturday &) Sunday anytime. Just let me know when & where! :cheer: I just finished putting the new caliper on & she's stopping good. :) So I'm ready anytime you are. I'm "Chomping on the bit!" Thanks! :) :cheer:

2 years 6 months ago #8737 by cambo
Hey Pierre! How are ya feeling? Are we still on for tomorrow? :)

2 years 6 months ago #8742 by LeBlanc
Hey Cammy,

Glad to help on Sunday, so happy you got your lift on.. enjoy your new suspension!

Pierre LeBlanc
'87 RRC
'02 D2
N2FWD

2 years 6 months ago #8743 by cambo
Hey Pierre!
Thank you soooooooo much for helping me out with the lift!!! She rides & handles great...she feels "solid". :P :cheer: :P :cheer:
And thank you for selling me those wheels. In case you wouldn't take it, I slipped ya something xtra. :whistle: That was sooooo nice of you to take time out to install that for me on a Sunday when you have a lot going on. :woohoo: Your the greatest!!
I'll post some pictures when I get the new tires this week. You made me so happy!! I cant wait to take her to the hills this wknd!!! :P :P :P

Thanks again! Merry Christmas to you & your family. :)

Cammy

Time to create page: 0.844 seconds

AZLRO

AZLRO promotes safe off-road driving, supports the "Tread Lightly" program is active in maintaining access for off-road driving as we explore all the great state of Arizona has to offer.

Newsletter