AZLRO
  •   webmaster@azlro.org

Forum

Parker area next weekend

4 years 8 months ago #7376 by DirkV
Parker area next weekend was created by DirkV
I'm planning a trip next weekend to Parker area, before it gets too hot. Anybody want to join Laurie and me? Plans subject to change, but here's the draft:
Friday afternoon: 1/2 day vac, leave Phx around noon. Leave pavement at town of Bouse. Swansea Trail to Swansea ghost town. Explore Swansea and find a nice campsite somewhere thereabouts (I see there are a few sites at the ghost town or out toward the river or the trail loop west of Swansea? ). Maybe do some geocaching to explore. Hopefully set up camp once for both Fri and Sat nights.
Saturday: Bill Williams River / Mineral Wash trail to Parker. Once in Parker, head south on hiway 95 for a few miles, then hit the trail again (Red Mt and Gray Eagle) to get to Nellie Saloon via back trails. After a cold beer, take the easier Nellie Mine trail back to hiway 95. Then check out the Poston WWII interment camp south of Parker. Then retrace steps from Fri, returning to campsite via Swansea trail.
Sunday: Head back toward Phoenix, via Transmission Line trail (heading east from Midway), stopping at Camp Bouse (WWII camp remnants). Then down to Salome, and head for home. But one more trail: Harquahala trail to check out the old Smithsonian telescope site in the Harquahalas.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 8 months ago #7378 by 05LR3AZ
Replied by 05LR3AZ on topic Parker area next weekend
Sounds like a great weekend. I'm interested in the area but unable to go at those times.

05' LR3
01' E-350 7.3L 4x4 - Sportsmobile pop-up
94' DI - ROKROVR
[bt]91' RRC SWB[/b]
Shaun - KF7KOY

4 years 7 months ago #7391 by DirkV
Replied by DirkV on topic Parker area next weekend
I'm going to have to reread Huck Finn. Every time we depart for one of these multi-day trips, I always think of Huck leaving civilization and striking out into the wilderness, but it's a vague recollection from 30 yrs ago when I last read that book. Something from Mark Twain must resonate with what I'm feeling now as we again head out into the wilderness.
I wrote a blog entry to make it easier to share various places.
[url:38twd8uz]http://dirkvandyke.blogspot.com/2014/03/parker-swansea-wanderings.html[/url:38twd8uz]

And here's a link to the complete photo album
[url:38twd8uz]https://plus.google.com/photos/101677970851250361785/albums/5991889446057461489?authkey=COfv3b_rsv-mPg[/url:38twd8uz]

4 years 7 months ago #7392 by azarmadillo
If I had noticed this I would have gone along with you! I need to read the forums more.

4 years 7 months ago #7395 by DirkV
Replied by DirkV on topic Parker area next weekend
Hi Chad, Darn. Maybe next time. It's a weird time with Facebook. But I don't like to put dates on there due to privacy concerns. I think this is a more closed community - too closed in this case.

2 years 11 months ago #8699 by roverthis2003
I ran a few trails up there last month. FYI Christopher creek would be a blast group camping time cabin are cheap but have every you would every need as well. Just wanted las info along

Time to create page: 0.264 seconds

AZLRO

AZLRO promotes safe off-road driving, supports the "Tread Lightly" program is active in maintaining access for off-road driving as we explore all the great state of Arizona has to offer.

Newsletter